Telangana launched e-Vahan Bima Scheme
Government of Telangana on January 2016 launched e-Vahan Bima Scheme to issue motor insurance policy in digital form.The scheme was launched by Information Technology Minister K T Rama Rao in the presence of T S Vijayan, Chairman of Insurance Regulatory Development Authority (IRDA). With the launch of this scheme, Telangana became the first state in the country to legally accept motor vehicle insurance policy in digital form.
Key features of e-Vahan Bima Scheme-
• Under the scheme, an electronic motor insurance policy is issued in digital form with Quick Response (QR) code.
• The QR code will be used to scan for verification of policy details.
• An SMS-based verification was also installed. It can be stored and accessed on smart phones to make the process of verification easier for commuters as well as police.
• Apart from the QR-based verification, an SMS-based verification was also installed.
• It can be stored and accessed on smart phones to make the process of verification easier for commuters as well as police.
• It will help poor accident victims and ensure better compliance as driving a motor vehicle without insurance in a public place was a punishable offence under Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
• The initiative was a joint effort of IRDA, Insurance Information Bureau of India, police, transport and information technology departments of the state.