Chandigarh is the perfect city in the World : BBC
BBC defined Chandigarh as the perfect city in the world. According to the story, 'Is this the perfect city?' on BBC, Chandigarh was used an example to explain what a perfect city is. The article featured Chandigarh from its time of planning, calling it the most remarkably ideal city in the world. The writer, Jonathan Glancey took the history of Chandigarh, Punjab and India into consideration and discussed how the architecture, planning, neighbourhood and the combination of the traditional and modern touch made Chandigarh the perfect city.
Some interesting facts about Chandigarh that you must know -
• Chandigarh was named after Goddess Chandi, the warrior form of Goddess Parvati.
• The name, 'Chandigarh' was derived from Chandi Mandir which is an ancient temple in Panchkula district.
• Chandigarh has ancient origins, as it was known to be home to the Harappan civilization.
• Chandigarh is known as the first planned city in post-independence India.
• Chandigarh's official emblem is the 'Open Hand' which symbolises peace and reconciliation.
• Chandigarh tops the list of Indian States and Union Territories with the highest per capita income.
• In 2010, Chandigarh was reported to be the cleanest city in India.
• In 2015, LG Electronics ranked Chandigarh as the happiest city in India over the happiness index.
• Chandigarh was the first smoke-free city in India.